Mills is a Certified BCorporation
In 2012, Mills became the first office supply company in Canada to become a Certified B Corporation. Certified B Corporations are a new type of corporation which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. B Lab, a nonprofit organization, certifies B Corporations with the mission to create a growing community of sustainable businesses throughout the world.
B Corps, unlike traditional businesses:
- Meet comprehensive and transparent social and environmental performance standards;
- Meet higher legal accountability standards;
- Build business constituency for public policies that support sustainable business.
B The Change – What are B Corps?
For more information about B Corporations please visit www.bcorporation.net
Mills is Wind Powered!
Mills has made the choice to green its operations by purchasing wind power provided by Bullfrog Power. Across Canada, Bullfrog’s green electricity comes exclusively from regionally sourced wind and hydro facilities that have been certified as low impact by Environment Canada under its EcoLogoM program. By making the switch to green electricity Mills is supporting projects such as the Bear Mountain Wind Park which is the first project in BC that is delivering wind power to the regional electricity grid. We encourage any company interested in making a step toward sustainability to consider BullFrog power, for more information visit www.bullfrogpower.com
Sustainability in our Printing Division
Mills is certified by CleanPrint BC – an organization dedicated to improving environmental management practices in BC’s screen and off-set printing operations. Currently, the Mills Printing Division works to protect the environment in the following ways:
- Mills uses non-skinning vegetable-based soy-oil ink to reduce toxicity and prevent dry ink skins from being disposed of in the landfill
- Mills annually recycles approximately 375 cubic metres of used paper plus another 185 cubic metres of used corrugated cardboard
- Mills accumulates all plastics, metal and wood including skids and arranges for them to be taken away by recycling aggregators
- Mills has eliminated film generation
- Mills reduces the use of solvents at every opportunity to reduce cost and improve environmental performance
- Mills has established and maintains a program of continuous environmental improvement and a target of zero spill or pollutants